Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Music, strength for the soul.




 Since the creation of it, music has been a messenger to our hearts. And with some styles of music that have emerged today, it is safe to say our adrenaline has increased as well. Undeniably, I have been criticized for my broad taste in music. So today, as I take a break from my excitement over sports, I believe it is time to take a look at some of my favorite musical influences. Some of them you may like. Others you may not. However, I hope at the end you may take a moment to listen to even a few tracks and expand your horizons.

As a musician, (drums, guitar, bass, and vocals) I find that many different styles of music interest me. To be honest, there isn't a style of music that I don't listen to, except polka. At the top you see the rapper/r&b singer Drake. Until recently, few of his rhymes or catchy choruses have interested me. That is until his latest album, Take Care. Drakes new record, that includes collaborations with the likes of Lil Wayne, Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj, and Rihanna, Drake took his game to new heights and his flow to tighter, smoother, and catchier depths.
 The reason I suggest Drake is for his flow and his silky rhythm and blues tracks. They are perfect background music for any quiet evening. His few aggressive tracks outline being a rapper and being proud of ones accomplishments. which though noble, can sometimes be misplaced accolades.

The next artist to look at is Brad Paisley. Though I could say a ton about him, I will keep it to a broad sweeping statement. He is the best country music guitarist alive. His skill is incredible and his musical writing is better than any other country music stars out there right now. On top of that, his newest single Remind Me with Carry Underwood felt his soft side much more than other tracks. I recommend Brad Paisley in any and every mood.

Next I have a personal favorite. A band that uses their catchy power chords and solid breakdowns have led them to tour with the likes of Rise Against. A Day To Remember is on the cutting edge of their genre and leading the pack when it comes to keeping it interesting. Their news record What Separates Me From You soared into the hearts and headphones of fans and new listeners. With some angsty and glorious breakdowns to catchy riffs and melodic harmonies, ADTR keeps fans happy and content.


Maroon 5's latest album "Overexposed" is leading the charts with some of the best pop music around. With hits like "Moves like Jagger" and ballads like "Payphone" it is difficult to keep up the former rock stars, now superstars. However, their latest song has to be one of the best for me. "One More Night" is something that Adam Levine has been waiting to create. It is the song that everyone can feel but most importantly, everyone has experienced. Its subject is that of a love that should be left alone, but he can't seem to escape. He keeps coming back for "one more night." The message is not as solid as it sounds but it is tangible However, as a musician, this song does appeal to me and I recommend it.

Now to the creme de la creme. Marshal Mathers a.k.a. Eminem has led the rap world to new heights and a mainstream reputation unlike ever before. He has been proclaimed by Drake, Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj, Jay Z, and many others to be the greatest rapper ever. This being said, his latest solo Album "Recovery" and his latest collaboration record in Bad Meets Evil "Hell:The Sequel" have destroyed on the charts. Recovery set the record for most albums sold in the US and his hit single "Not Afraid" has played on every radio station across the world. His ballad "Love the Way You Lie" ft. Rihanna, made millions cry and I personally loved his softer side and personal feel of the track. His hit single "Lighters" could have been played even more if anyone was counting. This Bad Meets Evil single chorus makes you believe in yourself and everything you may or may not have accomplished to this point in your life. Its a message of hope and faith to many who have had none in recent year.s I personally will stand by both of these albums as the best albums of 2010 and 2011.

Above all I want to add a personal message. Music has been in my family for generations. My father and his mother and her mother before her. It has been a Vaughan legacy to be talented musically. While i don't consider my self great, i have played instruments for many years. One thing that I have seen in my time as a musician is that everyone is effected by music. I have met many people who say they aren't music buffs, and yet when their favorite song comes on, they can' help but dance or fall silent to its melody. The point to made is that music flows through us. It matters. It keeps us going when we believe that we can't. I encourage you to listen these artists that I have mentioned, but above all I hope you are encouraged by the music that you do listen to, no matter what style or genre. Believe in the power of music. It believes in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment