Pages

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Great Moments Are Born From Great Opportunity...

I wasn't ready. I was not ready for the flags, bumper stickers, and drive by college students yelling at the top of their lungs "GO HOGS!" As a football fan, I am ashamed to say I forgot what it feels like for your team to take the field. It has been a year now since I have seen my own team, the Kansas City Chiefs, face any opponent in a real regular season game. As I noticed the enthusiasm in my fellow sports fans, I took a moment to take in the surroundings.
It is something akin to stepping into your old high school gym. It is familiar, yet different with time. Your team preps to take the field to eternally prove that they above all others deserve the honor and title of champion. No matter how you feel about sports, this feeling of pride, honor, and belief is a universal concept. This is their time. Today, your team is the greatest team in the world. Today, they play for it all. They play to win it all. And as I finally put my eyes back to the rode, I am reminded of something.


We all love sports movies. For many reasons, sports movies inspire us and make us believe that the impossible can be accomplished. Some of my favorites are Remember the Titans and Hoosiers. However, to this day, I have never heard of a better pregame speech than Kurt Russell's speech from the movie Miracle. The USA hockey team faces the Soviet team during the Cold War. Nations watch and look on at two teams struggling for more than just the puck, but for the upper hand between nations. Undeniably, the stakes were high for these young men. Watch and feel inspired.



Writing is the hardest thing to do when you believe something so strongly. Right now, as the Razorbacks and other college ball teams gear up for their first game of the season, I strongly believe that we can all be kindred spirits. Together, we are fanatics, we are believers, we are sports fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment